1. Explain the difference between a federalist and an anti-federalist. Also explain the differences between the Federalist Party and the Democratic-Republicans.
2. Identify and analyze the weaknesses of the Articles of Confederation. Also explain why the Federalists were in favor of ratifying the constitution and explain why the Anti-Federalists were against the ratification of the constitution.
3. What were Hamilton’s and Jefferson’s views on human nature, foreign policy, the economy, political parties, and the constitution?
4. What are two main causes of the War of 1812?
5. What happened during the war of 1812 at the following events? (Invasion of Canada, Washington D.C., New Orleans)
6. What was the Monroe Doctrine?
7. Explain the significance of the Virginia Plan, New Jersey Plan, and the Great Compromise.
8. Explain the significance of the three-fifths compromise.
9. Describe the growth of the United States and Examine the Impact of “Manifest Destiny” on the Growth of the Nation. (Mention Native Americans, Louisiana Territory, the Alamo, the Mexican-American War).
10. Why was Andrew Jackson called the peoples president? How did he expand the powers of the president?
11. What happened during the trail of tears?
12. Explain the Dred Scott Decision and its significance.
13. Explain the fugitive slave law.
14. What happened during John Brown’s raid?
15. Describe what happened during “Bleeding Kansas.”
16. Explain the Compromise of 1820; and the Compromise of 1850.
17. Explain the Kansas Nebraska Act
18. What were the effects of the Mexican American War?
19. What impact did European Settlement have on Native Americans?
20. What was the Underground Railroad?
21. Identify the causes of the civil war.
Explain these Intellectual, Cultural, and Social Movements
A. The Transcendentalists
B. The Second Great Awakening
C. Abolitionist Movement
D. Nativist Movement
Important Individuals (What were their accomplishments?)
1. George Washington
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. James Madison
4. John Q. Adams
5. Alexander Hamilton
6. Andrew Jackson
7. Thomas Paine
8. Henry Clay
9. Jefferson Davis
10. Abraham Lincoln
11. William Lloyd Garrison
12. Fredrick Douglass
13. John Brown
14. Harriet Tubman
*First through Tenth (What is another name for these Amendments?)
Land Acquistion – Explain how the U.S. Acquired its land.
a. Oregon Territory
b. Mexican Cession
c. Texas Annexation
d. Gadsden Purchase
e. Louisiana Purchase